Many people have problems with their car keys, or have problems finding the car key. In this world, there are many new types of car keys, and people that buy a new car have different types of car keys. It is possible for yourself to get a new key for your car and forget the way to unlock it. It is also possible for you to forget the trick about unlocking a steering wheel without starting a car.
Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the on position
- Move your steering wheel lock pin by inserting a key or screwdriver into the hole in the lock and turning it counter clockwise until you hear a click. The lock pin will remain in place while driving.
- Turn your key to the “Off” position and remove it from the ignition.
- Turn your wheel so that you can access the mechanism behind its rim. There should be two small holes on either side of where your key goes into the ignition cylinder when you turn it off.
- Insert a small flathead screwdriver into one of these holes and twist it until you hear a click, which means that you have unlocked the steering wheel mechanism.
Wait for the fuel pump to prime, which takes a few seconds
- Turn the ignition switch to RUN (the start position) and release it as soon as the starter begins to crank. This will start the engine without driving the ECM through its normal starting sequence.
- After the engine starts, turn off the ignition switch until you have completed your repair work (or until you’re ready to drive away).
Turn the steering wheel from side to side to unlock it
If your car has been locked, you can unlock it by turning the steering wheel from side to side.
If this doesn’t work, you can also try these steps:
- Turn off the ignition and remove the key. Wait for at least 60 seconds before starting again. This will give enough time for any electrical currents to dissipate.
- Restart the engine, but don’t start driving yet.
- Turn the ignition again and wait until all warning lights go out. If there are no warning lights, but you still cannot unlock the steering wheel, your vehicle may need service.
Pull the key out of the ignition and out of the car
- To unlock your steering wheel, you’ll first need to remove the key from the ignition.
- Next, gently push in on the button at the top of the steering column until it clicks into place. This will release your steering wheel from its locked position and allow you to turn it.
- Lift up on the bottom edge of your steering wheel and pull it toward you. It should rotate freely without resistance.
- Once you’ve got access to your steering wheel, you can adjust its height and tilt angle as needed to make driving more comfortable for you. If you want to lock it again, simply push in on that button until it clicks into place again.
Press down on the brake pedal
- The first thing you need to do is press down on the brake pedal. This will prevent your car from moving while you are working.
- Next, look for a button on the steering wheel that says “lock” or “unlock.” Press this button to lock or unlock your vehicle’s steering wheel. The button should be located within reach of your thumb while driving.
- Once you’ve pressed the button, wait a few seconds before trying to turn your wheel again. This will give the system time to reset itself.
Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the accessory position
- Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right. This will activate your ignition lock cylinder and allow you to remove it from the steering column.
- Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the steering column by pulling it straight out.
- Insert a flathead screwdriver into one of the notches on the ignition lock cylinder, then rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise until you feel it click into place. Repeat this process for each notch on the ignition lock until all four are unlocked.
Turn off air conditioning systems, radio and other accessories
- Disconnect the battery cables from the battery terminals to prevent electrical shock hazard.
- Remove the steering wheel by following steps 1 through 3 in “Steering Wheel Removal.”
- Unbolt the lower portion of the turn signal lever housing from the steering column assembly.
If you’re locked out of the car and don’t know how to unlock your steering wheel, make sure you call the original dealer of your car brand or a reliable auto locksmith. And make sure you never lock yourself out of your car. Make sure that you carry a spare remote with you (any good locksmith will give you one). That aside, there is no need to panic or rush. Take your time, find a solution and fix it. In the meantime, you can try some life hacks like using coat hangers as substitute for broken keys.