How to convert power wheels to dewalt battery
Power wheel is a kind of battery car that human beings can ride. It can be functioned by batteries or fuel. Since nowadays it’s an environmental protection trend all over the world, thousands of people will choose to convert their power wheels to dewalt battery and stop using gasoline, then they are called as the electric power wheels. In this article, we will give you some methods, and introduce the instruction of the process of converting a power wheels to dewalt battery.
Gather your materials
You’ll need a Power Wheels battery, a dewalt cordless drill, an alligator clip, and some wire.
- Remove the Power Wheels battery from the car.
- Examine it closely and determine which wires go where. In this case, we’ll be using the positive and negative terminals to connect our new battery to the car’s wiring harness.
- Take apart the dewalt cordless drill so you can get at its motor. You should have four screws holding it together.
- Unscrew them and pull out the motor housing (you’ll need pliers for this).
- Once you’ve done that, disconnect all of the wires from the circuit board and remove any other parts that might get in your way when you’re trying to solder things together later on.
- Solder your new battery connections onto your car’s wiring harness by soldering on a wire from each terminal end that connects to one side of its battery pack to each corresponding terminal on your new battery pack.
Disassemble the power wheels
- The first step is to disassemble the power wheels. This will allow you to remove the motor and transmission from the base of the vehicle. You may need to use a screwdriver or wrench to loosen all of the screws, but they should come off fairly easily.
- Once you’ve removed all of the screws, pull apart the two halves of the toy and set them aside.
- Next, remove the original battery from your power wheels vehicle. Remove any cables or wiring that may be attached to it as well.
- Finally, install your new battery into place in your power wheels vehicle. Plug in any cables or wires that were removed from your old battery and test out your new conversion.
Unscrew the power wheels screw and remove the battery
- Remove the cover on the power wheels battery pack. The screws are located underneath the pack, so you will need to remove them before pulling off the cover.
- Pull out the wires from the old battery pack and attach them to the new one. You should be able to use your old wires if they are long enough. If not, purchase a longer set at any hardware store.
- Screw in your new battery pack along with its cover and place it back in its designated spot on your power wheel toy car.
Unscrew the dewalt battery screw and remove the battery
- Remove the battery from the power wheels by unscrewing the screw on the back of the battery.
- Remove the old battery from your power wheels and replace it with a dewalt battery. The dewalt battery is much larger than the original and will require you to cut out some of the plastic on the back of your power wheels so that it will fit into place.
- Cut out some plastic on your power wheels using a hot knife or dremel tool so that your new dewalt battery can fit into place.
- Make sure there are no sharp edges and smooth down any rough spots with sandpaper.
- Place your new dewalt battery into place and screw it into place using your screwdriver.
Connect the batteries
- Connect the power supply to the battery pack.
- Attach the negative terminal of the battery pack to the negative terminal of the power supply, and then connect the positive terminals together.
- The red wire on your extension cord should be connected to the positive terminal of your battery pack, and the black wire should be connected to its negative terminal.
- If using a car charger for power, connect it in exactly the same way as you would connect a wall outlet.
Test your connection
To test your connection, put a voltmeter on the battery and the charge port. If there is no voltage, the problem is in the wiring or controller. If there is voltage, then either your battery is bad or it is not fully charged.
If you are able to get some voltage from your charger but it does not charge, then the problem may be with either your charger or battery pack. You will need to test further by checking each component separately before making any assumptions.
Close up and reassemble the power wheels
- Remove the battery pack from your power wheels. It’s usually a simple matter of unscrewing two or more screws and then pulling the battery pack out.
- Remove the old battery pack from the Dewalt drill. The procedure for removing a battery pack will vary depending on its design, but most use sliding latches that can be released by pressing down on them with your thumb while pulling up on the pack with your other hand.
- Attach the Dewalt battery pack to your power wheels. First, check that both batteries have their terminals facing in the same direction; if they don’t, flip one over so they do match up properly before proceeding any further with this step.
- Then slide one end of each cable into its corresponding slot in each side of the power wheels’ housing; make sure that both cables are inserted fully into their respective slots before continuing to the next step.
- Close up and reassemble your power wheels and test them out.
The great joy of having a Power Wheels is that you can use the batteries from all sorts of other tools as well, not just Dewalt batteries. For example, I have some Hitachi batteries that I used for my first one for another reason and can use them for this application. So if you want to alter the car to use a battery option that may be cheaper or that meets your criteria for other reasons then this is a path you should consider.